Sunday, December 10, 2006

Plagio Update

Here are some picture of his head. We have to do them in the bath so that his hair is wet because when it is dry, it sticks up all over the place so much that you can't see it very well. It's really sad. I was looking at some websites and his head looks much worse than the ones in the pictures. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures because he was so wiggly, too. But it'll give you an idea.
As I was doing some research on the Internet about Plagio (as the world of Plagiocephalites call it) I am realizing it's a little more serious than we thought (or that the pediatrician let on). It can cause facial asymmetry and weird funky stuff. There is a lot of debate about helmeting and not helmeting. I'm all for it... wouldn't you have been mad if your parents could have fixed your oddly shaped head and asymmetrical ears if they could have but didn't? I'd be real mad, real real mad. Anyway, Maddox has no asymmetry

as far as I can tell and the only thing that is slightly noticeable is that his ear on the more flat side (his right side) sticks out a little bit.

I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions but I'm a little worried for my baby! I'm afraid he has the more serious form of Plagio called Craniosynostosis. His pediatrician didn't seem to think he had it, but his flattening is so severe, I just don't know... all a mother can do is worry!

2 comments:

joanie said...

His head looks fine to me! And if the helmet is necessary just always put him in a cal bears t-shirt and every photo will look like Halloween. Don't worry he is a born football player anyway!

tawni said...

I dont see whats wrong with his head. Sofia has a big ol' head so his looks fine to me too. Every kid I know out grew it. I know it is so hard not to worry about our little ones! ITS SO HARD!