Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Flu is totally LAME

So before I post about our Christmas at Tyler's family's house (which was wonderful despite the events and circumstances), I wanted to tell you all that when your little peanut (or in our case -- since using food analogies as nicknames works for us -- our little Fatburger) gets sick with the flu, it's dreadful!!

Maddox is sick and it is so sad and pathetic. He woke up this morning and I went in to get him and bring him in to bed with us as usual and he went to sleep again for over an hour. When he woke up he didn't want to eat. I tried giving him his usual breakfast of oatmeal cereal with applesauce and he was incredibly fussy and wouldn't eat. Clue number two that he wasn't feeling good was that he wouldn't even take a bottle. Now we don't call Max Fatburger for nothing. This kid loves his bottle. So for him to go so long (about 5 hours) without wanting one is a definite sign he's sick. Clue number three was that he wanted to take a nap about an hour after he woke up, usually he goes about two hours almost on the dot. So I put him down for his nap and when he woke up there was what looked like baby barf on his blanket in his crib. Tyler said it was just spit up so we cleaned him off and tried to feed him again. He, of course, refused. Then he would just cry and whine and then sit limply in my arms.

And then, the mother of all diarrhea diapers exploded all over him. If this blog thing had smell-technology I would put a scratch-n-sniff right here in the middle of this sentence. The smell was unbelievable. We had to crack a window despite the Santa-Ana hurricane force winds blowing around outside.

Then Clue number five hit me like, well, like vomit. I was holding him with his head resting on my shoulder and he was going in and out of sleep so I took him into his room to rock him a little before putting him in his bed when out of nowhere, with no warning, I was drenched in baby vomit. Now just because babies are cute and sweet and smell good does not mean their vomit is cute and sweet and smells good. In fact it is quite opposite. Needless to say my clothes and his clothes and everything in the close vicinity is soaking in the bath tub.

So our baby has the stomach flu. His poor little cousin Jessica had it on Christmas (more about that in my Christmas post) and it was so so sad. Anyway, he hasn't thrown up since about ten this morning and he's kept down a lot of Pedialyte and rice cereal and bananas.

Let's hope we make it through the night without any more barf or diarrhea or any kind of extra bodily fluids (except maybe drool).

2 comments:

Suzanne's Michael said...

So sorry. A sick baby is a sad development indeed. None of the usual things work and it is so frustrating. I hope that you and yours do not come down with anything else. A sick child and a sick parent that is truly the very WORST. Take care of yourself.

p.s. Your descriptions were so, the word vivid comes to mind, that neither scratch and sniff nor photos wre necessary!

tawni said...

Oh geeze. Now that is something I am NOT looking forward to. I will be so grateful if we get through this season without sickness. Nate and I got the flu shot so hopefully that cuts down our chances and hers. I have Pedialite on hand for emergencies. Hang in there! Glad to hear he is holding down the food.