Monday, January 14, 2008

What the...

Once again a celebrity has stolen one of my favorite baby names. First it was Maddox. And I let that one slide because I had liked the name a long time ago when I was younger (I had met a boy named Maddox at the doctor's office when I was about 7 -- incidentally that is also where I met my imaginary friend Marfadia) and then it had been years since I had thought about it until Angelina Jolie named her kid Maddox. We still used the name because it was a good compromise for Max. But now it's gotten ridiculous! Nicole Richie just gave birth to a baby girl (and not to lessen the grand event -- go Mama!) but she named her Harlow. Now, if you were to look way back in my journal from high school you would see that one of the names I've always loved is Harlow (for a girl or a boy, at the time I couldn't decide, although I had written that it was more for a girl). I hadn't thought of the name in forever until I heard Richie named her daughter Harlow. IF I were to have another kid (IF, that's a big IF) I couldn't use the name because then I'd have two kids with celebrity baby names and people would think I was some kind of celebrity obsessed freak! (Also, one of Tyler's best friends coincidentally has the last name Harlow so that would make it weirder still).

Anyway, I didn't really have my heart set on the name, but it's a loss nonetheless.

I needed a good rant, anyway.

I'm always thinking of girl's names because our next baby will be a girl. (IF -- remember that word -- IF). If the next baby is not a girl I will be devastated. Not that I don't love my boy, because oh man I DO (you'd have to to put up with his antics day in and day out). But I want a cute little pink chubby baby girl to dress up and cuddle with (cuddle being the MOST important there).

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

you are too cute! if it makes you feel any better, Hyrum has like a million brothers and sisters (okay, twelve). Well, his mom named them most of the names that Hyrum likes (he is really picky about names especially Girl's). And in the end, we still ended up naming our little one Rachel even though his sister's name is Rachel. And NO we did not name her after his sister for the record!

hairyshoefairy said...

Oh, man! I hate when the names I like get stolen! Cuddling is definitely requisite.

tawni said...

I love that name! I say use it anyways. No one really cares. I think you should totally use it. Don't let Nicole Richie take it that easily!

Nancy said...

i say do whatever you want. plus, nicole richie isn't quite as famous as brad and angelina, so that baby probably won't be on the cover of us weekly all the time like maddox or shiloh or TomKat's kid.

Nina said...

thanks for the encouragement ladies!!

ChelMo said...

Even if you do someday get your baby girl, keep in mind that they're not all cuddly. Bella would rather be kicked in the head than cuddle with her parents, and her kisses consist of biting as hard as she can (I have multiple bruises to prove it). It is fun to dress her up, though, even if she does always end up with a faux-hawk after pulling her ponytail out.