Monday, March 15, 2010

Team Challenge: 30 by 30

So, I've been figuring out if I should actually blog about this at all. I'm pretty proud of myself so far and I don't want to jinx anything (yes) and I don't want to look like I'm making a plug for the YMCA because I know there are lots of other options out there for weight loss and fitness. But, since this blog chronicles the lives of our kids and us I decided why not. If anything, maybe it will be motivational to those two people that read this thing -- oh wait, one of them was on the team with me.

So I did the Team Challenge at the YMCA. After seeing the amazing (and by amazing, I mean spectacular) results that a few of my friends had doing this I decided it was time to try it out. I wasn't having much success on my own losing much just going to spin classes in the mornings and occasional workouts at home or the gym. I was pretty discouraged with the vasts amount of weight I had gained since Tyler and I got married. It really is quite ridiculous. I have some good excuses, but not many. Mostly I just love love LOVE to eat. I love food. More than just a love of feeling full or the taste, I have a love and understanding and appreciation for food that not many people understand. Anyway... back to the important part. I had gained a whale's worth of weight and I felt pretty gross. I started working out about a year ago but didn't have much results. I always knew it was my eating. I don't like pig out regularly, but my attempts to keep things fairly healthy were foiled by the fact that I ate more than I should of those things and didn't pay much attention.

Now, mind you, it's very hard to be a fat girl married to my husband. Have you seen him?? He weighs the same as he did in high school -- he's almost 30. It's crazy the metabolism this guy has. What's worse is that his family is the same! His sisters are gorgeous and thin and fit and his brother the same. Seriously, I am the fat girl in the family. The big fat black sheep in a sea of beautiful white sheep, if you will.

So finally, after 2 kids, and knowing we weren't having anymore for a long long long time (if ever) I had motivation to get back into my pre-wedded bliss jeans. I figure high school jeans are a lost cause seeing as how I weighed 100 pounds in high school. Yeah, not reasonable. Maybe someday when I get that tummy tuck and lipo I've been craving. For now, pre-wedding jeans is a good goal.

And, that's where Team Challenge comes in. Today I'm finishing my first one. Our team didn't win. I didn't really expect it to. It doesn't help that my other two teammates were a 70 year old woman who didn't know that the point of the challenge was to lose weight until like the last two weeks, and a skinny hot blonde who seriously has no more weight to even lose but wants to lose it anyway (who I love to death). Anyway... so there I was. Starting this thing, terrified of failing. I seriously hate failing. And I was seeing results!! I lost consistently for the 8 weeks we did the program for a total of almost 13 pounds, 7 inches on my hips and 4 on my waist so far! And gone down almost 2 pant sizes (depends on the pants).

How did it work? It's mostly that I've dramatically changed my eating habits. I calorie count. A LOT. Every single day. I write down EVERYTHING I eat in a cute notebook that I spent way too much on at Anthropologie. I work out at least 4-5 times a week, sometimes twice a day (including the 2 hours a week we get with the personal trainer with the team). I'm accountable for myself, my weight, my progress. I feel better. I eat better. I have a goal and I compete with other people which helps me out a ton. I'm being reminded of when I was an athlete and played soccer and was fit and felt good and could run. I'm starting to feel like myself again.

So, I set a goal. 30 pounds by 30. That gives me like 2 1/2 years. I think I can do it. Yes, I gave myself a LOT of time. But I know me, I'll struggle at some point and then get back on it. I'm going to sign up for another challenge with our trainer Bryan, who's pretty cool. And I totally understand that to other people I still look like a little fatty. But for me, I KNOW I look different. I know my clothes fit different. I know I can run 6 minute interval sprints and feel amazing when I'm done. I know I can hold the plank for a minute and a half. I know I can jump rope for 3 minutes (well, sort of, jump roping is hard!!) I know I'm getting stronger. So yeah, I have a ways to go, but seriously, there's finally a light at the end of that squishy tunnel of fat and it's getting a lot brighter!

8 comments:

brooke said...

my gosh, woman...you ROCK! i already knew all of these things, yet after reading it i'm even more impressed! you sure did do amazing! can't wait to lose the rest of our weight together!

Jen said...

You are awesome! I know just how you feel! I've put on the same kind of weight since we got married (20 lbs in the first 5 months!!!) Your story and mine are so similar. You've seen my hubby. He's like yours... skinny, skinny, skinny. His whole family too. Reading this was like reading something out of my own journal. Except I'm halfway through baking kid #3 and we're only half done! Ahh! But we're taking a "break" between 3 and 4 and I'm SO going to make sure I lose a significant amount of weight. I would make the same goal as you (30 lbs by 30) except I'm going to be 30 in December - just 4 months after the baby is born so that's a no can do for me. :D You inspire me! I wish you lived closer so we could be gym buddies or something... Good job girlie!

Megan said...

Um, excuse me? You can hold the plank for 90 seconds?!?!? The plank is my nemisis, knowing what it does to me makes the fact that you can do that so much more amazing to me. You are an inspiration! I don't think I have the self control to do what you are doing... So awesome that you are sticking with this. You'll have to tell me your secret of not giving in!

Lindsay said...

Great Job!! A few weeks after I sent you a message, I was named the winner at our Y for the same challenge - the individual winner, as my team was a lot like yours. I lost 22 pounds! Since I still have some more to lose, and am afraid I will not do it on my own, I too signed up for another session. Keep it up!!! I got a bodybugg from Keir for Valentines Day, started using it , and I LOVE IT!!! They are a bit pricey, but I think it is totally worth it. I've almost blogged about the experience several times, but am also afraid to jinx myself! :) Maybe I will since you've inspired me??

Nancy said...

great job, nina!

sally said...

ummm some - i mean one of tyler's family is FAT - me his mother. sigh and i hate it too...so nina is and was not the black sheep oh wait tyler's dad is fat too...and we both used to be skinny - so nina maybe tyler will have some weight struggles someday. i'm guessing NOT-- because he has the build of my grandfather and he stayed slim all his days. As for me i'm past the 30 by 30 and 50 by 50 so i'll just go with 75 by 75! :) ha i am so laughing! but anyway i am proud of you and all your effort.

Your Pal, Al said...

I read your blog! I can't believe you work out that much...I'm inspired!

Monique said...

Inspiring!! Way to go :)