Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Few Of My Favorite Things

This list might include my babies, or my husband or milk, or even the ocean. But hot biscuits with home made jam is pretty close to the top. I took about half the strawberries we picked and made jam. Here's my recipe. I didn't want to use pectin because it just kinda weirds me out. So I made it up.

Strawberry Jam
4-5 medium lemons juiced
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of sliced strawberries

Cook lemon juice and sugar on low until sugar is dissolved. Add the strawberries and bring
to a slow boil. Keep it bubbling slowly for up to an hour, or as long as it takes to reduce and thicken the jam. Pour into jars and refrigerate! You can adjust the amount of sugar based on the sweetness of your strawberries (more sweet, less sugar -- less sweet, more sugar).

Add a hot homemade biscuit with butter and here is the fabulously delicious result...

IMG_0849

So yummy!! And of course I had to share with my friends. Also close to the top of my list of favorite things is feeding people. I love to feed people. And these jars are pretty dang cute, too. Only $1 at Michaels!

IMG_0839

Moral of this story... go pick your own fruit and make jam.

Or make this:

IMG_0855

Strawberry Shortcake with homemade fresh whipped cream! I better stop before I get too hungry.

2 comments:

Hailey, Brandon & Connor said...

oooh yea we had some of that on memorial day! I love strawberries and fresh cream. seriously good.

Your Pal, Al said...

I tried your recipe, it's so good!

I've done something similar with blueberry, vanilla sugar and a cinnamon stick.