Sunday, August 7, 2011

Right Now

I want to remember how these two little ones are right now. I want to remember how they loved each other and cared for each other and looked out for each other. Because they do just that. All the time. I have a hard time relating to their special relationship. My sister and I didn't get along at all growing up. We've only just become friendly with each other as we entered adulthood. But Maddox and Amelia have a serious bond. I'm so grateful for it.

IMG_1375

Sure, they argue and bicker and fight just like anyone would. They spend every minute of the day together (and the night for that matter), who wouldn't? But I love that when we are at the beach and another kid comes and picks on Lia, Max steps in to defend her, to talk to the bully reasonably and rationally for her. He does it without being taught, without being asked. He just does it. And Lia, she's only 2 years old so her emotions are generally expressed in spurts, but she'll cry when we talk about Max going to school everyday. She says she'll miss "her boy" so much.

IMG_1407

I'm lucky that I get to watch this. I'm lucky that I get to see their relationship everyday, growing and blooming. I'm lucky, so very lucky, to be their mom.

2 comments:

Jen said...

It's so cool, isn't it? Kevin and I were like that growing up. My boys are like that too, sort of... in their all male relationship way. It's different because they are all boys. But they protect each other and influence each other (that's a little scary!) and can't even sleep without each other. I love it! If we ever have a girl, she will be SO well protected!

PS Your kids are DARLING! It really is too bad we live so far from each other cuz I think our kids would be friends. I really wish they could be. Max would be a good influence on Jonathan.

Malerie said...

That has been the best part about having another kid. I'm amazed, even when they are so little that there really is a special little bond. It's funny that my kids already know how to push each others buttons, but totally love each other and prefer to play with each other, too.

Your kids are seriously so beautiful! We miss you guys. Hope you're doing well!