Monday, June 20, 2011

Grandparents

One of the frequent conversations in our house usually consists of naming all known relatives and their relationships to the kids (Mattie is our aunt, Grandma With the White Hair is our great grandma, Papa is our Grandpa). This conversation always gets me thinking about my own grandparents. Two of my four grandparents I hardly knew. My dad's parents moved back to Italy when I was just a baby. I knew pictures of them, and saw them again later when I was older, but sadly I had very little contact with them over the years. My mom's dad died when my mom was only two so I never knew him. My mom's mom (or as my kids call her, Grandma With the White Hair) was like a second mom to me. My mom was a single mom who worked hard so my grandma took on most of the after-school duties for us. Anyway... I have a point! I promise! Since the kids are so interested in their relatives I have been wanting to get photos of my grandparents and Tyler's grandparents up around the house. I have a photo of my great aunt Rose (who Lia is named after) hanging in the house, and a photo of Tyler's grandpa on the bookshelf. It's been slow going, but I finally got a picture of my grandfather (my mom's dad, who I never got a chance to know). I've always loved this photo! Anyway, I'm slowly making my way to getting all the photos printed and framed. There are surprisingly few photos (okay, not that surprising I guess) of my grandparents and aunts and uncles, especially compared to the thousands of photos I have of Max and Lia already, and Max isn't even 5 yet! But hopefully seeing some of the older photos will help mold the stories of the family that Lia and Max belong to. That's my hope anyway!

grandfather1

No comments: