Monday, January 3, 2011

Blizzard of 2010!!

We survived the Blizzard of 2010!! Barely though! I swear, I am not cut out for snow and cold and ice anymore. California has made me soft. We stayed overnight at my Grandma's house on Christmas. Tyler and I had a lot of fun staying up late and talking with my Uncle Paul and my Grandma. The next morning when we woke up it started to flurry and then the snow started coming down. We were supposed to spend the day in Branford and with my dad, visiting my aunts but because the snow was coming we didn't want to get stuck down there so we packed up quickly and headed back up to my mom's house. SLOWLY.

IMG_0496
(My grandma's house in the snow).

IMG_0500

IMG_0502
I-91 in the snow!

How cold it was outside on the way home!
IMG_0509

It snowed and blew like crazy all day. It never let up at all. The wind was wild! And after naps that night the kids just couldn't wait any longer to get out and play in it. Max especially. He had been looking forward to snow since we told him we were going to CT for Christmas! I thought Lia would hate it but she had a TON of fun!

IMG_0511

IMG_0514

IMG_0515
Sledding down the middle of the road!

IMG_0516

IMG_0526

Tyler learned what it really means to be a New Englander in a blizzard. He woke up the following morning at 5:30 to go out and shovel for my parents. He shoveled for over 3 hours, without stopping. I guess we should have told him how to actually do it! He did a great job though. But I'm thinking this kind of solidifies us crossing Boston off our list of places for residency!

IMG_0532

IMG_0538

It continued to snow and the wind continued to blow. But the kids had to go play one more time. And build a snowman of course! The snow was perfect powder, but not great for snowman building. I think they did a pretty great job considering!

IMG_0599

IMG_0600
He has a mohawk of pine needles.

IMG_0551

IMG_0553
Max pretty much thought the point of snow was to throw snowballs and go sledding. Tyler would pull them down a tiny little hill across the road. They LOVED it!

IMG_0554

IMG_0556 IMG_0560

IMG_0563

IMG_0565

IMG_0569

IMG_0570
Making snowballs and trying to throw them!

IMG_0576

IMG_0586

The kids loved the snow. I thought it was a bit cold, but still beautiful. It had been a long time since I got to listen to snow flakes falling and it was still as magical as I had remembered it. I'm still trying to figure out how I survived when I was a kid. Did I just now feel the cold as badly? Because wow, it was frigid. I'm glad the kids got some snow before we left though. And I'm glad we got to come back to California and the sunshine and the 65 degree weather!

No comments: