Sunday, August 8, 2010

Superhero Training Camp

max invite

I kind of went over-the-top with Max's birthday this year. I just can't help it!! Once I get going it's hard to stop. I didn't even want to throw him a party this year, but he insisted. So I indulged. This year we had a Superhero Training Camp party. Each kid received a booklet and they had to complete each of 6 activities to receive their special Superhero badge.

The Challenges:
1. Obstacle Course Endurance Training where they had to leap tall buildings, crawl over a road block and save a baby at the end.
bday15
2. Spiderweb Trap where they had to spray three villains with their super Spiderman webs (silly string).
bday16
3. X-Ray Vision Training where they had to reach their hands inside the box and "see" what was inside.
4. Kryptonite Challenge where they had to search through a box filled with kryptonite and styrofoam, find the kryptonite and use the special tongs to move it into a special box.
bday14
5. Bomb Practice where they had to shoot their bombs (water balloons) at targets.
6. Villain Bowl where they had to practice toppling the villains with their super ball (soda bottles with villains faces on them).

bday17

bday3

I set up the stations on the grass outside the community room and each kid with the help of their parent went around to each station. When they were done they got a sticker on that page of their book. And I guess this is a good time to tell you about the small melt down I had before the party started. It was mostly justified although a little dramatic on my part. The night before Tyler, Brooke and I set up the community room. We decorated with superhero pictures and streamers and balloons. It was pretty awesome. The next morning I had Tyler start to carry some of the party stuff down to the room and when he came back he told me that some of the neighbors had set up on the grass outside the room for a yard sale. The same neighbor who the night before had seen us setting up for the party. I freaked out. They had taken ALL the grass in front of the room, including the picnic table right in front of the room. After I freaked out (mostly because I was stressed, party because I was really freaking ticked) I had Tyler ask some of them if they could move over a little bit. I had about 25 kids coming in an hour and I had needed the grass for the stations. After being rudely yelled at by said neighbors they moved just a little out of the way for us. I was shocked at how rude they really were. There was no reason they had to take up all that space, or, for that matter, not set up their stuff closer to the parking lots. I really did have to convince myself to let it go so it didn't ruin my day. I had been planning this party for months so I was so discouraged when I saw what was going on. The kids barely noticed so it turned out okay, but I was pretty upset about the whole thing.

bday2

Anyway, moving on... I think the kids had a lot of fun with the challenges. They all even came dressed up like superheroes! We had a pinata, too. Max said it was the best party ever. He even got the doughnut cake he asked for. And his friends got him some really awesome presents.

bday8

bday9

We even got to see the Littles! They just happened to be visiting from Tennessee and came to Max's party. It was AWESOME to see them again! We miss them so much!

IMG_8137

bday1

IMG_8022IMG_8024

I think the party was a total success!
max invite order2

6 comments:

Khadija Siddique said...

Hi!

I was looking up ideas for a Superhero Training Camp birthday party for my son, and your blog entry popped up. I absolutely loved your ideas,especially all the graphics you used for the invitations and signs. May I ask you how you made them? Is this something I can do on my own with software? If so, which one?
Id appreciate any help you can give me on this!
Thanks!

Khadija

Anonymous said...

Hello Nina.

I am interested in the graphics you used on your son's Super Hero Training Camp invite. Did you purchase this from someone, or is it your creation? I would love to use this invitaion for my sons party in May this year.

THANKS!
Marie

Nina said...

Hi Marie! You posted as anonymous so I'm not sure you'll get this, but I designed the invites myself! I'd be happy to send you the template if you'd like. You have to have some photoshop knowledge to do it.

Marie Gangaware said...

Hi Nina.

I would love to get the template you designed!

THANKS!!
Marie

AmyB said...

Hi Nina would you possibly be able to send the invites to me as well? My grandson is having a Superhero Training camp birthday this year. Thanks! Amy

Magan McMillian said...

Is there any way that I could get you to send me the superhero templates also? Love them! mcmillian038@yahoo.com