Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Free Man

_MG_2709 _MG_2722

Oh yes, that's right! Max is diaper free!! NO MORE DIAPERS!! I just have to say it's an awesome feeling as a mom to conquer this part of raising kids. And honestly, Max pretty much did it all on his own. I know a lot of moms really struggle with potty training their kids, but for some reason I totally lucked out with this kid. Max had gotten #2 down easy and well pretty early on in the process. I think that was an easier thing for him to recognize the sensation for than #1. I tried for a few days to just make him wear underwear all the time, and a few accidents out in public later I couldn't handle the utter disappointment HE felt every time (an accident to him was like the end of the world, he would feel so bad about it, and cry and cry). So I put him back in pull-ups and started to think of a new approach.

_MG_2643

Then it hit me. Although Max was perfectly happy sleeping in his crib every night (he has never tried to climb out or anything) I knew he also loved being a "big boy." And whenever we go to Babies R Us he is obsessed with the big kid beds there. So I hatched my plan with Tyler and Tyler's mom. I woke up one day and told Max that if he wore underwear all the time, no more diapers, that he could have a big boy bed. Seriously, that same day, he was done with diapers. He got so so SOO excited about getting a big boy bed!!

_MG_2658

_MG_2691

Tyler's mom drove down with Max's new bed a few weeks later. This bed is extra special because Tyler and Tyler's dad used to sleep in that bed, too. It's a trundle bed and extra long so Max thinks it's pretty much the coolest bed he's ever had. We've had some ups and down when it comes to sleeping in it, but we've pretty much worked out all the kinks and he's really good about staying in his bed until we come to get him.

_MG_2647

Max has been in his cute little underwears for a while now. And he does an awesome job. He still wears a pull-up at night because I really don't feel like cleaning up pee in the middle of the night (especially with the kids sharing a room now) How lucky was I to have it be this easy? I know. I have a feeling Lia will not be like this. Only time will tell -- is it too early to start potty training a 9 month old?

_MG_2701

P.S. Those pirate underwear photos at the top were all his idea! He came out of his room one morning looking like that.

1 comment:

Jen said...

YAY!!! Jonathan's about at that point too. We almost never have accidents any more. And he wears those same underwear! LOL!