Monday, January 2, 2012

Vacation Woes + Triumphs

Both Tyler and I were so seriously excited about spending two whole weeks just the four of us together for his winter break. I was looking forward to having Tyler around without the stress of school hanging over his head. He was looking forward to being school and worry free. I couldn't wait to be done with my shooting for the year. Max was going to be on break from school, too. We were ALL seriously ready for some good old family time. But the fates tried really really hard to conspire against us!

The morning of the last Friday of Tyler's school week, the day he had a really really important test (shelf exam) he bent down to put on his socks and threw his back out. He was able to get to school and take the test thank goodness, but by the end of the day I had to pick him and, he couldn't drive his car home. He was pretty much laid out for the first 4 days of our vacation putting a serious damper on the things I had planned for us. (He of course made up for it later, but I still started out our vacation pretty bummed).

Once Tyler felt better we got lots of fun things in -- ice skating, Christmas light viewing, going to the Temple, Christmas shopping, exploring at the beach and tide pools. But then the fates struck again. As soon as I finished my last shoot of the year I got seriously sick. Like, the flu, sick (not the stomach flu that's been going around, thank goodness). My body just completely broke down and stayed that way for the second half of our vacation. A nice gnarly cough set in. Bleh! Christmas was fairly miserable (although I did manage some sweet times in there) and only just now am I starting to feel like myself again! Maybe this will teach me to actually get my flu shot next year. Eh, probably not.

On the last day of our vacation we went on a gorgeous hike in Point Loma at the Cabrillo National Monument. The weather was perfect. The trail was great for pushing the kids in the BOB and the day just ended so wonderfully that it made the stress and craziness of the rest of our vacation just seem like happy family time together. I'm so grateful that we had the time together, even though for most of it the kids were at each other's throats and Tyler and I were sick or sore or tired. I still feel like we focused on our family and our time together. And I'm thankful it will help carry us through the next few months of seeing less and less of Tyler. Oh blast you third year!!

No comments: