Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Places

IMG_9694

One day during our vacation we decided to check out Cabrillo National Monument and the Point Loma lighthouse. Neither of us had ever been there before. Surprisingly I hadn't even ever been to Point Loma before. So off we went. The kids were nice and extra whiny that day, too which made us cut our excursion a little short. But we ended up at a delicious sandwich and bread shop at Liberty Station where Max got to eat chocolate bread for lunch and that perked him right up.

IMG_9698 IMG_9701

IMG_9705

IMG_9707
(don't let all that sweet handholding fool you!)

IMG_9710

IMG_9714 IMG_9737

Tyler came up with the great idea of coming back on the following Monday (the fake New Year's day everyone had off from work). It was his last day of vacation and we thought it would be fun to check out the Bayside Trail, a 2 1/2 mile round trip hiking trail that winds around the Bay (and our $5 permit was good for 7 days so we could get in the second time for free!). The trail was really really pretty and thanks to the steepness was actually a pretty good little workout (well, for me anyway). The kids loved being in the stroller and going on an "adventure" with us, too. The spent a lot of time searching for rattle snakes. I have to say I was just a tad bit disappointed we didn't even at least hear one.

IMG_1835 IMG_1839 

IMG_1854 

IMG_1855

It was the perfect start to the new year! Another gorgeous day. And it ended with another trip to Wind 'N Sea to enjoy the sunset. 

IMG_1845

Happy start of 2012! I usually set lots of personal goals for the year and fail miserably at achieving them. This year I have a few simple things I want to just get done.

IMG_1857

1. Photograph each of my children 52 times this year. Just simple portraits of them, one each week. I'll probably post them over at my photo blog.

2. BLOG MORE.

3. Print my personal blog into year books.

4. Become a runner (okay, so this might be one of those ones that just disappears).

5. Continually simplify.

6. Be a better mom, even if it only means one day a week of less yelling and scolding.

7. Photograph daily life more. I want to do the 10 on 10 project (even though I'm not part of the special club of awesome photogs who are officially doing it).

Seven is a good number. I love goal setting, even if most of them do inevitably fail. I like working towards things, it makes me feel useful and feeling useful is good. Right?

IMG_1858

2 comments:

Kierst said...

We love Cabrillo! I braved the trail once by myself with both kids. Needless to say, I didn't make it the whole way. Someday.

Molly said...

cute pictures!! i'm on board with you on the print blog stuff into books..i've said it for years!! hopefully this will be the year i finally start