Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Driving South: Washington DC

Our next stop after Philly was Washington DC where stayed overnight. We spent the day doing a walking tour of the monuments there. It was so seriously hot that day... at one point I thought I had actually died.

DSC01091 DSC01092
Washington Monument -- or as Max called it, "Washington's House!" Max actually had a little potty break at a tree right by the monument.

World War II Memorial. This one was new since I had been there (back in eighth grade!) and it was awesome. One of my favorites.
DSC01104
DSC01102

DSC01110

They even recognized the important role women played in the war.
DSC01107

DSC01105
Tyler at the WWII Memorial with Lincoln Memorial behind him. Max was SO SO excited to go to "Lincoln's House." Tyler taught him all the presidents on the coins so he was so happy to be able to go to all their "houses."

DSC01100
Jefferson Memorial.

DSC01116
Tired, sweaty, hot, cute little Lia Bia.

Vietnam War Memorial. This place is so majestic. It's amazing see all those names on that wall, watching family members and fellow soldiers find their loved ones on there. A very moving experience. I remember in eighth grade I had a teacher who had fought and lost friends in the Vietnam War. It was his first time going to the wall and I remember him crying and crying while he touched the names. I didn't understand when I was that young why he was so emotional there. But I do now, and I think back on that experience as one that taught me a whole lot about life.
DSC01113

DSC01112

Tyler in front of the Capital building... well, not right in front of it. I think we were at the Washington Monument for this.
DSC01098

DSC01093
That's no memorial for the horrid fashion of the 80's -- oh no-- it was a real person wearing those hideous sneakers.

DSC01117

Finally at Lincoln's house! Poor Max had to wait through the whole tour to see it. The tour was really cool -- a retired history teacher took us on a walking tour of most of the monuments for free! And he really knew his stuff. It was really awesome.
DSC01118

DSC01119

DSC01123
Isn't Lincoln HUGE? I figured if I stood by him he would make me look less huge.

DSC01121 DSC01120

Max was fascinated by the Gettysburg Address. It's gigantic!
DSC01127

DSC01128

We met up with Tyler's old mission buddy and his wife for lunch. It was so fun! And even though it was so so hot that day, it was totally worth it. We had a great time getting to see as much as we could. We didn't get to go to any museums because we didn't want to push it with the kids. Our policy when doing things with kids: it's only fun until someone gets too tired. So we went back to our hotel, got some food and went to sleep feeling stocked up on American History.

No comments: