Wednesday, November 12, 2008

We Have a Date!

I thought I'd give a little pregnancy update while I was sitting here blogging. We finally have a date set for the c-section!

November 21, 2008 at 12pm.

Yup, that's the day! So exciting because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but scary at the same time because it's surgery and it kind of freaks me out. I can't think about it too much or I start to really flip out.

Two weeks ago I was feeling a lot of contractions and cramping so I went in to be checked and my midwife told me i was 40% effaced but not dilated yet. Well, for two whole weeks I've been feeling more and stronger contractions. They are definitely real, I have to breathe through them, but they aren't consistent at all. They might last for half an hour and then completely stop. Anyway, yesterday I had another appointment and I'm 70% effaced and dilated to 2. It doesn't really mean much but that I'm clearly progressing towards labor, that my body takes FOREVER to birth a baby and that I could stay this way for weeks. Sooo... I may make it or I may not make it to the 21st. Either way, I'm having a c-section. It's just really lame that I'm having all these labor things when I wanted to really avoid that this time. Oh well. I honestly can't complain too much about this pregnancy (and I promised I wouldn't). It's really been a breeze up until this last month when you get so huge you are your own planet with your own weather system.

I came up with this list of things -- YOU KNOW YOU ARE REALLY PREGNANT WHEN...

1. You go through Costco sized crates of toilet paper in like a week from all the peeing.
2. Your maternity clothes start to feel tight.
3. Your pants won't stay up and keep falling below your tummy and you can't really see if they have or haven't so you run the risk of them falling all the way down to your knees and only realizing it when you trip over them.
4. You've been sleeping on the couch for 3 weeks because you can't stand the way your husband breathes at night (or any time during the day for that matter).
5. Getting into the car is about the only thing you can do all day because just that one thing wipes out ALL of your energy.
6. You cry at everything.
7. You yell at everyone. Especially old people who can't possibly remember what it's like to be pregnant and young people who definitely don't know what it's like to be pregnant.
8. You want to burn your maternity clothes because if you have to wear that same stretchy t-shirt AGAIN you might just break your own water to go into labor.
9. The Waddle.
10. You eat things like Jello even though in a normal plane of existence you would not touch that stuff to save your life.

I may add to the list as I think of more. But there you have it... my subtle way of complaining.

We're getting so excited for our little girl to come. Excited and terrified, but we're focusing on the excitement. My mom is coming to visit with my little sister for a while and she's even making us Thanksgiving dinner so I don't have to miss it this year after all. My goal is to keep things calm. If I can keep things calm, I can handle it. Tyler has been a big help in the last few weeks, too. He's definitely bearing with my craziness. He's wonderful.

So 8 days and counting...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! And holy moley, that's soon! good luck.

Jen said...

I love the list! I feel it! Do you have a name yet for your little girl?

Hailey, Brandon & Connor said...

I definitely think you should keep adding on to the list... like you know you're really pregnant if you've forgotten what your ankles really look like :)

Your Pal, Al said...

Can't wait to see pictures!(Of the baby...not you know...the biological stuff...)

Jen said...

I have another one for your list...

You get excited to go to the OB and have a pelvic exam.

LOL! That's where I'm at! Anything to tell me the baby is still going to come after all!

Linn said...

Just looked at the date and realized today is your day! Good luck. We are definitely thinking of you guys!