Thursday, May 22, 2008

Eating Rocks...

One morning as I was getting out of the shower Max ran up to me and said, very very proudly, "MAMA, MOUTH, ROCK, ATE!!!" I said, um, what?? He kept repeating the same thing over and over. That he had eaten a rock.

Now, I'm not usually a panicker in emergency situations. My detached practical self takes over quickly -- very convenient. So I started looking for the 2 rocks he had been playing with that morning. At the time he found the rocks, I wasn't even thinking he'd eat them. He never puts stuff in his mouth anymore. Well, as I searched EVERYWHERE for them I kept coming up empty. I found one of them, right on his little table. The other was nowhere to be found. Each time I asked him where it was, he pointed to his mouth and said, "ATE!!"

So I'm thinking, at this age, it is impossible for Max to lie, he's not old enough to even get it yet. He is very good at telling me things that actually happened. Normally when I ask him to show me something he brings me right to it. So my logic told me that I had to believe that he ate the rock. I knew that the rock was about the size of a quarter. I also knew that swallowing quarters is a VERY bad idea. He wasn't breathing funny or acting funny -- in fact, he was pretty pleased with himself. But I started to worry that it might block something on the way through his system. So off to the emergency room we went.


When we got there and were finally admitted the doctor asked me what the deal was. I told him that Max had told me he had eaten a rock. The doctor looked at me like I was crazy -- I was honestly going to believe my toddler? I gave him the facts and the evidence and he said we could have an x-ray done (I still think he didn't believe me) or we could just go home and see if he passes something. He said since he got it down okay, he should be able to get it out. So we opted out of the x-ray, since it wouldn't have changed the doctor's course of action and went home and waited.

Sure enough, the next day, there was a poop covered rock sitting in his diaper. I almost took a picture and folded it up to take to show the doctor that my son was telling the truth. But it was just way too gross. You will all be spared.

No comments: