Friday, January 26, 2007

Bunny Chronicles


So I thought that Maddox and his bunny obsession deserved it's own entry in the blog. Maddox has a serious obsession, almost bordering on unhealthy, with his Beanie Baby Bunny named Ears (see picture at left). It really is the cutest thing, actually. Whenever he sees this bunny his eyes light up and he gets this HUGE smile on his face and gets SO excited and jumps up and down (in his Exersaucer of course).

If I forget the bunny at home when we go out, sometimes he will cry and cry until we get home and he can have his bunny again. He will yell at the bunny, chew on the bunny, shake the bunny -- and I swear, sometimes I catch that poor bunny looking at me with this look in his black plastic eyes like "PLEASE SAVE ME". Too bad for him that I love Max more.

The funniest part about this whole bunny thing is that Maddox was the one who decided he wanted the bunny for himself. Tyler's aunt sent us a package for Christmas and one of the things inside was this brown bunny. I didn't think much of it (he wasn't really into toys yet, being only 4 1/2 months old, so I was going to save it for when he was ready to play) thought I'd put it in his toy box for him to play with later (he wasn't all that in to stuffed animals yet). I set it on the kitchen table until I had time to put it away later. The next morning, before we drove up to Sonora for Christmas, I was feeding him (his high chair sits on the table or the counter) and he looked over to the side, saw the bunny and started grunting and reaching for it. He almost got to the point of tantrum when I finally gave him the bunny. Since that day, him and the bunny have been inseparable.

Last night I bought another bunny on eBay for him because the current one is getting pretty nasty looking. He has chewed the ears so much that they are stiff with dried baby spit. And it's starting to get holes. The problem with this particular Beanie Baby is that it has been retired. So you can't find them in stores or get them from the Ty website. Nope, you have to resort to eBay. As soon as we get next month's pay check I'm going to buy all the ones that are being sold on eBay. I do NOT want to be up a creek without a bunny when the current one gets chewed to death. (Some of the bunnies on eBay are ridiculously priced -- $23?? I don't think so -- so I will not be buying those. Feel free to scoop those ones up for yourselves. But please leave the $1.50 ones for us).

So that is the bunny story. Maddox has so much personality, it's just adorable. He is the funniest little kid I've ever seen. His facial expressions, his mannerisms. It's just too much!

5 comments:

lauren said...

we have a similar situation happening with a pink bunny. I like when Karen goes around with the bunny in her teeth like a dog. It's so funny. It gets pretty gross too.
I just throw it in the washer with everything else and it's just like new! You could put it in a mesh bag and wash on delicate if you're worried about it. They say on the tag not to wash but they've done fine for me.

Aunt Elizabeth Van said...

From the Aunt,
Tyler’s mother sent me this link. I just read your blog, very interesting. I’m the Aunt who sent Maddox the Brown Bunny that you did not think much of; however, to my delight Maddox did. Moreover, family members wonder why I do not have much contact with them, did I thank you for your honesty?
Wait,
Wait,
Just a minute longer,
Okay long enough, I’m kidding; although, my sons and I had a wonderful laugh at your candor. As I was putting together the package, I felt I was missing something. For two weeks, the box stayed on the living room coffee table. One Friday evening, I remembered the books that I ordered over the summer and as I started sorting them out, I saw the Velveteen Rabbit book and thought of Tyler – the Doctor- the sick boy- the brown bunny, and then I remembered my collection of Beanie Babies, hence the brown bunny. Yes, I do have a collection of Beanie Babies and, so do my boys, although, one will not admit it. Almost all of them are boxed up and have never been played with. At the time, we enjoyed hunting all over the Twin Cities looking for certain ones. I still have several lying out. Tyler’s mother, Sally, may not remember this, but our mother, Susan(my older sister), and Sally would make little stuff dolls, bunnies, and dogs(?) for presents or toys to play with. When I was about 8 or 10 years old, Sally gave me two of them for my birthday. I don’t have them any more, but I never forgot them. So, when the Beanie Baby crazy hit, I fell in love with them and all the wonderful old memories they brought back to me. Every once in a while, I remember I have them and give one or two away. As you found out, the Beanie Babies that I have are from the retired series; however, they are not meant to sit in a box. They are meant to be loved with a passion and that includes being chewed-on. I am glad to hear that Maddox loves his bunny with a passion.

Aunt Elizabeth Van said...

From The Aunt,
Everyone Listen Up! Now that I have your Attention, let me make this very clear; Nina, we love your candor. We, The Van Family, haven’t laughed so hard in months. Your writing style is perfect.
In case anyone is wondering what this is in regards too, someone thought I was offended by Nina’s blog about the Brown Bunny, nothing could be further from the Truth.

I have a dry, if not strange, sense of humor, didn’t mean to imply that I was offended, sorry.
Truth be told and no sugar coating, my family and I immensely enjoyed your other blog entries too. My 19-year-old son can totally relate to the spider entry and we all agree that someone still needs to tell that nurse a thing or two.

Again, in absolute truth and throw-out the trying to be politically correct about every small thing a person says or writes; we, mostly me, The Aunt, haven’t laughed that hard in months, if not in years. I was laughing so hard, that my 19-year-old son came running downstairs yelling, “What’s wrong, what’s wrong”. By then, the entire family (4 people) gathered around me, I tried to read your blog aloud to them without laughing (didn’t work). After reading your Brown Bunny blog, we had to read your other blogs. You write about motherhood with a truth of simplicity that I personally think many of us have forgotten. May you continue to write with the heart of motherhood and all the truth it brings.

Nina said...

I'm so glad you weren't offended!! We LOVE the bunny!! And so does Maddox. Thank you for the compliment (in truth I didn't think anyone really read the blog). Keep reading, I update often!

tawni said...

I am going on ebay to find this bunny. Sofia is starting to put EVERYTHING in her mouth. Its kind of annoying, but cute. I just have to be alert which I hate cause I like being lazy...anywhoooooo hey, did you contact that lady about the banner? Are you getting one? I keep waiting...and waiting...