Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dr. Tyler Seibert, MD, PhD -- IT'S OFFICIAL!!

IMG_6705

On Sunday June 2, 2013, we packed ourselves under a giant white tent and watched our Tyler walk across the stage and officially become a doctor -- times TWO!! The day we had been waiting for for seven years had finally come. I think Tyler will agree with me that it's both exciting, scary and surreal to actually be on the other side of all of that schooling. In our ten year marriage we've only ever been in school and it's so strange to think it's finally all over. I had thought about how I would write this post over and over again for years and years in my head. These last seven years of medical school and graduate school have been some of the hardest of our lives and it makes the accomplishment feel that much more sweet.

(Little Tyler wearing his dad's cap when he graduated from law school)
photo

(Little Max wearing his dad's cap when he graduated from med school)
IMG_1848

Med school is no joke. For me it felt like a never ending marathon of survival. For Tyler I think it felt similar, only he had to be the guy who was winning the marathon, the whole time, without letting up. He had to do that AND juggle a family and an often demanding wife. It's amazing he made it out (okay, I kid... mostly).

And anyone who knows Tyler knows he is pretty amazing. I won't brag too much, but honestly, Tyler is seriously special. He's one of those people you just know will make a huge difference with talents and gifts he's been given. We are ALL incredibly proud of him -- especially his two kids who just think he's the greatest thing alive, and his wife who thinks he's pretty freaking amazing.

We had most of the family down for the graduation and hit up the beach for a bit before we headed out to a delicious dinner at Buca di Beppo. It was nice to be able to fit everyone in a bed in our house while they were here, too.

IMG_6696

IMG_6699

Linda ordered this amazing cake for Tyler, too. It was delicious!
IMG_6697

Sunday morning Sally, Kevin, Tyler, Grandma Seibert and I attended a breakfast for the MSTP students before the graduation ceremony. I hadn't been super emotional about the whole thing until he put on his cap and gown. My eyes MAY have gotten a little bit more moist, or it could have been an eyelash in my eye.

IMG_1774

IMG_1777

IMG_1778

IMG_1781

It felt pretty amazing watching Tyler walk across the stage twice to get hooded -- once for his PhD and then once again for his MD. When he was hooded for the MD, the kids walked across the stage with him. I couldn't help thinking watching them stand up there on the stage with him, how Max has been a part of this journey from day one -- he was just a few weeks old when Tyler had his white coat ceremony and began medical school. I kind of felt like he earned it a little bit, too.

IMG_6706IMG_6708

IMG_6726

IMG_6727

IMG_1784

IMG_1785

IMG_1791

IMG_1786IMG_6728

IMG_1797

IMG_1800

IMG_1803

IMG_1804IMG_1802

IMG_1806IMG_1808

IMG_1812

IMG_1818

IMG_1821

IMG_1823

IMG_1825

IMG_1829

IMG_1831

IMG_1832

IMG_1836

IMG_1839

IMG_1851

IMG_1856

After lots of pictures and handshakes and hugs we went back to our house for some carne asada tacos and relaxation. I'm so grateful so much of our family could make it down to celebrate with us. The feeling of Tyler's accomplishment is incredibly overwhelming and we just feel like we're sitting on top of the world. Although I'm pretty sure that feeling will dissipate when we start looking at those student loans. But I digress...

IMG_1859

IMG_1863

Double hoods. 
IMG_6725

Congratulations Dr. Seibert!! You accomplished something not many people do and you definitely did it in your own way. You followed in your grandfather's footsteps and paved your own path at the same time. We sure do love you!!

IMG_6724

5 comments:

Kevin Seibert said...

I get teary eyed looking at these. As Tyler's Dad, I see my little boy and a newly minted doctor at the same time. I am so proud of him!! I am not much for graduation ceremonies, but this one moved me. This one really did seem like I was witnessing the finish line. All his other graduations were stepping stones to this one.

Aaron said...

Made me happy to read this post. It was a pleasure to be with Tyler for much of his journey all the way back to our Berkeley days. He's always been such an impressive person and I've always looked up to him and his style of going about his business. Congrats guys!

Jen said...

I almost cried reading this post. You guys are amazing! Tyler, you've done something that no one I know could do. And Nina, you've done something I know I couldn't do! I know I've not been a physical part of this journey with you, but I've been here rooting for you the whole time. I'm so incredibly proud of you both! You guys are my idols!

sally said...

Nina you wrote this beautifully and I did cry. I loved that day and love that you gave him such a happy home to support him.

Tyler said...

This post and these comments contain some of the nicest compliments I have ever received. Thank you all!