Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chores

It had to happen because I was going slightly insane trying to get the kids to do things around the house to help out. So, the chore chart was born! They have simple things to do -- make their beds in the morning, put their pajamas away, brush their teeth, clear their plates, read 15 minutes a day, do homework, clean up toys. All totally doable throughout the day. They also can choose two larger chores from a group of 6 to complete by the end of the week. Those include vacuuming a bedroom or the living room, putting the dishes away, organizing the shoe closet, dusting the bookshelves.

IMG_2155

The kids are actually loving it! When they finish a chore they move their magnet down and then at the end of the day if all of their magnets are moved they get to pick a sticker. It's amazing how much kids love stickers. At the end of the week if they did ALL of their chores every day they get a small allowance that they can save in their jars for a big toy or something small from the dollar store when they decide.

IMG_2153

The kids are doing great with it and are really loving the structure of it, having a routine and being able to check things off. I'm loving that at the end of the day all their toys are picked up.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I seriously LOVE reading your blog...thanks for posting all these awesome pictures! BTW, I am also lovin' your giraffe throw...is it from Target?

Jen said...

That's awesome! I wish I could figure out the chore chart thing. I've tried several incarnations of it and it never works. I think it must be my fault. I don't remind them about it. I'm not sure consistency is something I do very well.

sally said...

They both did a great job vacuuming at my house.
Keep it up I have more cleaning that needs to done here!