Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Homestyle

This year was pretty unique to us because we got to spend all the major holidays together at home. And while we missed our families, we loved having a nice calm Thanksgiving together this year. And this year I wasn't recovering from a c-section -- enjoyed the turkey a little more because of that!

This year I bought a rather large turkey thinking we were having more people than just the 5 of us. Ended up being just the 5 of us anyway. So I cooked the bird. And boy was it awesome!! I used Williams-Sonoma's brine mix and brined the turkey for about 36 hours before I roasted it in the oven. It makes for a slightly saltier turkey and gravy, but that turkey comes out so juicy and tender. I always say I won't spend the money on the brine but it's ALWAYS worth it.

_MG_5043

We had basic sides this year, too, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, salad, delicious bread, stuffing, gravy.

_MG_5048

_MG_5045
These brussel sprouts are delicious. Want the recipe? I swear you'll love them, even if you insist you don't.

_MG_5060

_MG_5062

And while all of us enjoyed the spread, Max refused turkey and had a turkey shaped peanut butter sandwich instead. That child and food. I swear, he does NOT get his food aversions and weirdness from me.

_MG_5053

We had a great Thanksgiving at home this year. Yummy food, family, relaxing, gratefulness, yummy food -- oh wait, I said that. But isn't that turkey just beautiful??

_MG_5055

1 comment:

Jen said...

That really is a beautiful turkey... And the brussels sprouts look delicious! Isn't it such a great feeling making a whole Thanksgiving dinner all by yourself?