Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloweenies

This year's hunt for Halloween costumes was kind of a process. I really try to guide the kids away from mainstream costume stuff. I love homemade costumes so I try to make those sound exciting them. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes it doesn't.

IMG_4177 IMG_4176

IMG_4175 IMG_4174

Even Emily got in on the Halloween fun!
IMG_4302

This year was actually a great costume year! Max decided pretty early on he wanted to be Harry Potter. It was perfect for him!! He and Tyler have been slowly reading through the books together. Doesn't he make the cutest Harry Potter every?? His clothes underneath (black pants, white shirt, gray sweater vest and one of Papa's old ties that had the perfect Gryffindor color stripes) were all his. We found the cape, wand and glasses on Amazon for less than $15!

IMG_6711

IMG_6708

IMG_6713

IMG_6703

IMG_6701

Lia had a harder time coming up with a costume. On her list was a princess, unicorn, witch, princess witch, minion from Despicable Me and then finally, an owl! She had seen an owl costume at Target that was really cute, but was also $30. I decided I could totally make her one with some felt and an old dress at home and thought it would save us loads of money. Well, when all was said and done, after all the cutting and felt buying and feathers and mask it probably cost me way more than $30, including my time! But it was worth it. The finished product was adorable!! I hit a few snags while making it though. I used a cotton jersey dress that I got on clearance at Target. When I had glued all of the felt onto the dress though, it didn't stretch anymore and I couldn't get it over Lia's head! Costume FAIL! I had to cut a slit down the back and then make a little felt feather covered cape that hid the slit down the back. It ended up great! We put a turtleneck underneath and I made some felt covered wings to pin over it. The final product was ADORABLE! We even made the mask and glued on the feathers.

IMG_4240

IMG_6690

IMG_6692

IMG_6694

IMG_6699

We of course went trick or treating at the Trunk or Treat at church! Best kids activity of the year! The Encinitas ward knows how to party, too! Danielle then took them out on actual Halloween, too. I think we got 3 kids at our house -- it doesn't help that we live on a giant hill. It was a good Halloween!

IMG_6715 BW

IMG_6718

No comments: