Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ice Skating San Diego Style

IMG_1798

Was it weird watching my kids and my husband ice skating on an outdoor manmade rink in the 65 degree warmth of the sun? Yup. Was it weird yelling at them to avoid the really melty puddle parts? Yup. You'd think after being in Southern California for as long as I have I'd be used to this kind of thing. Nope! I grew up skating in the freezing cold on a real pond. I had my own ice skates. I skated for free! It's still pretty strange to me to pay to skate outside on melty ice when I could be at the beach in the same day.

IMG_1797

This was the first time skating for the kids and they did great! Max even got out in the middle and skated around by himself. His primary motivation is that he wants to play hockey so he figures this is one practice session closer to being able to join a team (he thinks he'll only need two or three more practices).

IMG_8905

IMG_8883

IMG_8897 IMG_8885

IMG_8916

Lia had a little bit of a rougher time, which is to be expected. She did enjoy being pushed and pulled around by Tyler though. I stayed on the sidelines taking pictures because we couldn't really handle paying more than we already were for the three of them (close to $40!!). I took these "great" photos instead (I use the quotes there because I obviously have a lot to learn when it comes to taking photos against the bright shiny reflective surface of white ice!!)

IMG_8928

IMG_8932 IMG_8933

IMG_8958 IMG_8946

After the skating (all 30 minutes of it) we got some hot chocolate and headed home.

IMG_8950

IMG_8949

IMG_8920 IMG_8921 IMG_8922

No comments: