Monday, December 15, 2008

Names

So there seems to be some confusion about how Tyler and I name our kids. Let me clear it up. We like nicknames. I've grown up with a nickname and most people only know me by that name. I think nicknames are cool and unique. And are more important than the idea of "nickname" really denotes. Especially when they are less obvious forms of the given name. (Like Nina from Christina -- I really don't think I'm much of a Christina). When Tyler and I first got married and started thinking about having kids, there was a little boy in our ward named Max. We got to spend a lot of time with him in the nursery at church and he was a freakin' awesome little kid. It got us liking the name Max a whole lot. When we finally had our Max, we (well, mostly me) wanted a unique name. I thought Max was so simple and common (still kind of do and I'm not that wrong about it, we have 2 in our family!) and I wanted a more unique baby name -- not crazy, but different. So I happened upon Maddox and fell in love with it and thought Max would be an awesome name he would go by from Maddox. We call him both, but mostly Max. And Max is a Max for sure. He's awesome and embodies the name perfectly -- both names really.

00026

So when we had Amelia we wanted to continue the trend of nicknames. Tyler and I both really loved the name Leah. I (of course) thought it was too simple (my kids are complex little creatures). So, brilliantly, again, I came up with the name Amelia and we would call her Lia. Cute, no? We think so.

00259

So there... an explanation. Let's hope this clears things up. We love our perfect unique children, and even though one of them shares a name with another kid in our family, he's still unique and separate and wonderful and loveable. He'll always be our Max. And Amelia will always be our baby Lia.

No comments: