Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Technical Difficulty

So as you can see, we had a lot of fun visiting family and traveling around. But one thing that was really hard was the actual traveling part. I can look back on it now, retrospectively, and say I never want to do that again. But I know we will because we can't stay away!

Max become very obsessed with my mom on this trip. While we were at her house he would not leave her alone for one second. She couldn't even go to the bathroom without him wailing for her. He wanted her to hold him and play with him the whole time. Maybe he liked her so much because (duh) she spoiled him like crazy. She gave him everything he wanted, which of course, grandma's are supposed to do. But it made disciplining Maddox a difficult task. Everyone seems to have their own opinion when it comes to doling out a punishment. So when we returned home to California, Max had a rough adjustment.

He wouldn't nap, he wouldn't listen, he wouldn't stay in time-out (a tried and true method in our house). The napping thing was horrible. When we got home he wasn't sleeping well, waking up early in the morning (not the usual 9am) and his naps pretty much went out the window. I would put him down and he would scream and scream. I wasn't ready to let him give it up. And he clearly wasn't ready either, considering the fact that he would fall asleep in my arms when I would go and pick him up. It was a horrible horrible struggle. But I decided to not give in, and make him stay in his crib for his nap time. It eventually worked. He now naps like a champ again.

His listening has gotten better again, too. But for a couple weeks I was so scared that "the terrible twos" had seriously set in and this is what it would be like for the next year of our lives. Max had turned into a little monster and I was beside myself not knowing what to do. It got so bad during those weeks that one afternoon during a nap tantrum that I heard a giant bang and thought he had fallen out of his crib. I ran into his room and saw that he had broken his crib (the metal bars that held the mattress up had bent and fallen through) from jumping so hard. So I went to pick him up and he kicked me so hard that he cracked my rib. Literally. It was really painful for a few weeks, but is getting better now.

Anyway, I realize now that it was all just a readjustment for him. We had spent so much time in CT being off his schedule and around so many people that he just got out of whack. Because he is back to his sweet little self again and I can't get enough of him. I'm thankful that I had the strength to endure his little episode, although at the time I googled "adoption agencies" just to make myself feel better. (Come on now, I never would have went through with it!!)

I love our monkey and I love that we are back to normal.

No comments: