Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cancel High Alert... We are now at Code NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

If blogger had a list of emoticons I would definitely choose the one crying its eyes out. Or the one that is bright red with little fake steamy things coming out of its ears. Or the one that is rolling its little googly eyes.

Max did NOT get a tooth. I repeat. He did NOT get a tooth, nor does he yet to have ANY teeth.

Let me explain. I've been waiting since the kid was like 6 months old for him to get his first tooth. Every day that he was a little more fussy than usual I would say, oh yes, today is first tooth day. I lost count as to how many days that has been.


But this last time I would have bet money that his first tooth was about to break. In the middle of his gums on the bottom there was a slightly swollen little white spot. It wasn't sharp, so the tooth hadn't broken the surface, but I've seen a teething baby so I know what the start of a tooth looks like. I almost cried when I saw it, I was so excited. He was pretty cranky, too, and the drool was like a rabid animal. Trust me people, I would not have purposely set myself up for failure with such a post as this one without being almost 100% sure of the outcome.

But almost as suddenly as the little sucker appeared it was mysteriously sucked back in to the black-hole vortex that is that child's gums. Only God himself, and maybe a dentist, can know the reason for my angst. I am completely devastated, of course. And I have vowed that if he does not get his first tooth by the time he is 14 months old, I'm taking him to the dentist and demanding an explanation.


And please don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore those big beautiful gummy smiles! I completely melt when he runs to me from across the room, his little chubby cheeks beaming with that big open-mouthed grin, no pearly whites getting in the way. And truth be told, the kid has truly adapted like nothing I've seen before. A list of his favorite foods, sans teeth, that he devours:

really crusty bread
cheese sticks
chicken nuggets
steak
tortilla chips

I could go on, but why bother, that's enough evidence for me as to why I shouldn't be too worried about all my teeth falling out when I'm really old. If Max can do it, so can I.

Really, the reason I'm so anxious for teeth is truly about my own agenda. I'm getting a little tired of the "no teeth" comments. Plus, he was early doing everything else, why is he so late getting teeth? I don't want a late bloomer.


I know it's not his fault. I love him to pieces. He's been a real sweet heart lately (except for the end-of-the-world melt down he had at Target the other day). I can't get enough of my little man. I actually miss him when he goes to sleep at night.

Maybe he'll wake up one morning and have gotten all his teeth in the middle of the night. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

lauren said...

Karen only had one or two teeth by the time she turned 1. Now she has almost 10... Far fewer than most kids her age (18mo). I read somewhere that kids who get their teeth late have fewer cavities and healthier teeth. Don't worry!

ChelMo said...

I'm sure they're coming - don't worry! When was the last time you saw a 5 year old without teeth? I highly doubt that he's incapable of growing them. He's just biding his time.

And I'd gladly trade you places. 4 1/2 months is too early for teeth, especially since I'm breastfeeding Bella. She's too young to understand "ouch" and "don't". And I really wish that I could have enjoyed the gummy smile longer.

The Del Pegos said...

He will get them soon enough, Nick was over a year when he got his first tooth!