Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Kitties

IMG_1258

I've been trying to figure out how to write this post for some time. I can't help wanting to cry when I see the kids holding their kitties and being so happy with them. But here it goes.

IMG_1217

The kids have been wanting a pet for a while, particularly Max who, despite acting nervous around dogs, has been asking for one. I finally convinced Tyler that a pet would be good for us, good for Max and Lia to learn a little responsibility and I'd have some extra company when 3rd Year started. So we headed down to the shelter to get some kittens. The kids were SO excited that they would each get to pick one out. Max had made his mind up about getting a "skinny black kitten" about two seconds after we told him he could get one. Lia picked out a cute little gray and white one.

IMG_1250

IMG_1252

100_0327

We took them home and the kids were just beyond happy. Lia just lit up about her kitties. The little black one was a little more nervous around the kids, but loved Max so much! She would curl right up in his lap and fall asleep. The little gray loved Lia, despite her constantly picking up, slinging over shoulder, dropping, hugging, squeezing... you get the idea. Anyway, at one point Lia had to sit in time out in her room and the gray kitty meowed and meowed outside her bedroom door until Lia came out again.

100_0372_1

100_0362_1

100_0348_1

100_0341_1

Max named the black kitty Rainbow but called her "Bow" for short. Lia named the gray one Pink Penguin but we called him "Supercat" mostly. We sure did love them! They were ADORABLE!!

100_0339_1

100_0334_1

100_0330_1

100_0322_1

We'd only had them for a few days and when we had to head up to Orange County to have a mini family reunion. We left them with Danielle while we were gone. On Saturday Danielle called to say one of the cats was sick. So I raced back home after the Tough Mudder to pick them up and take them home. Early the next morning I woke up to check on them and it did NOT look good in the bathroom. It was a MESS and included some blood. So I found the closest vet hospital I could find and rushed them in. After waiting for what seemed like hours the doctor came out and told me that the cats had contracted feline distemper, most likely while in the shelter, and that it was fatal to kittens. Cats are usually vaccinated for it but the vaccination comes in two rounds and the kittens were so little, they had only had one round. I'm sure you can see where the story is leading.

Before I got back to the OC Tyler broke the news to the kids. Their reaction: "Awww!!" and 5 seconds later asked if they could go back to play with their cousins. Mercifully they weren't that torn up about it, mostly because I just don't think they understand what dying means. Anyway, it was a pretty rough experience for Tyler and I, one of the reasons we haven't gotten any new ones yet. I miss those cute little kitties! Maybe when we start residency we'll think about another pet. For now, I think we'll stick with FISH.

No comments: